“Sloppy in Singapore” by Eldora

Sloppy dressing is not an issue to me until I read this article. 

Most Singaporeans know their dress codes for different occasions. They will dress appropriately for formal occasions such as Wedding dinner and Prom, and also dress comfortably for less formal occasions such as Birthday parties and Chalets. So far, I have not come across any Singaporeans dressing sloppily for formal occasions. Instead, I even saw kids dressing like young adults for Wedding dinner. These show that there are still people who are aware of their dress codes so it is wrong of the article to state that all Singaporeans dress sloppily. 

Singaporeans knew first impressions are very important and usually people “judge others’ by its cover”, so majority will present themselves well to avoid other’s gaze. Most would also consider the distance, place and the people they are going to meet before deciding on their appropriate attire. For example, if I am just going to a nearby shopping mall to have lunch with my close friends, I would just put on my comfortable wear which is a t-shirt and shorts. It is fine for me or others to dress this way since the destination does not need a long travelling time. Instead, it would be weird of me to wear jeans to somewhere near just to have lunch. So, rather than saying “Singaporeans dress sloppily”, the correct way to address us is “Singaporeans dress logically”.

After all, I feel that if you are good looking or have nice body, then whatever you put on would be fashionable and wouldn’t look sloppy at all. In addition, it is fine to prefer comfort to fashion as these are personal preferences, and who says comfort can’t be fashionable?







   





















Images adapted from: google.com (images)

Post a Comment