"Are Singaporean Youths Politically Apathetic" by KaiYan

I don’t think that Singaporean youths are politically apathetic. General Election (GE) 2011 was significant to me. In the past, I would rarely attempt to watch the news. But during the GE period, I would watch the news almost every day to be updated about the GE news. It had been a hot topic among Singaporeans, including the youths. My friends and I had also discussed on the election issues as well. There are many interesting candidates like Low Thia Kiang, Nicole Seah and Tin Pei Ling; this year’s GE was more exciting than ever. The young candidate, Nicole Seah caught my attention. The way she speaks, whether during rallies or during interviews, brings across the message that she just wants the best for Singaporeans. She is able to convince people with the way she speaks.

Yes I think that GE will affect those who are under the voting age. There is a chance that the MP of the area will change. It might change the system of that area, affecting the youths. I think the voting age should be lowered from 21 to 18 to engaged youths in politics. They would be more aware of the things happening around them as they have a part to vote. There are many sources that have information regarding the GE like the Internet, newspaper and television. Youths could easily grab hold of the latest news feeds.

I think there should be a news channel on famous social websites like Facebook and Twitter. Since youths visit these websites often, it is easier for them to be updated on the latest news feeds thus, more engaged in politics.

Post a Comment